While the role of a family caregiver is extremely rewarding, it can still take a toll on many people’s mental, physical and emotional health. In fact, according to the National Alliance for Caregiving and AARP Public Policy Institute survey, it is said that 40% of caregivers feel emotionally stressed, almost 20% say it caused financial problems and about 20% feel emotionally strained from caregiver burnout. To care for our loved ones, we must also be sure to take care of ourselves — that’s why today we’re discussing the signs of caregiver stress and ways you can combat the burnout.
Concordia offers several programs that allow caregivers to tackle the burnout and stress they may be going through, and also some services that provide direct assistance to the caregiver in times of need. Being a caregiver can feel like a full-time job, but with programs such as Adult Day Services and Concordia Private Care, help is available.
Common signs of caregiver burnout include:
– Loss or lack of energy, overwhelming tiredness, having trouble getting enough or too much sleep
– Not enjoying the activities you once did
– Change in eating and overall health habits, extreme weight loss or gain
– Anxiety, depression, mood swings
If you are experiencing any of the above signs, don’t worry, there are several coping skills that can help.
Ways to combat the stress and burnout:
– Consider getting some help around the house. In-home private care services can help to alleviate caregiver stress by assisting your loved one with activities of daily living, including:
– Adult Day Services is another great option to ease caregiver stress. With Adult Day Services, you can drop your loved one off at an Adult Day Center while you take care of yourself and things that need done. Adult Day Services helps in ways such as:
– Care for yourself: read a book, go for a walk, anything to manage stress
– Get organized: start a journal, prepare for the week ahead
– Ask for help and talk to a loved one about the stresses you are facing
We all want to help our aging loved ones as best we can, and hopefully these helpful tips can help you maintain a balance that will alleviate your stress! To learn more about the caregiving options and support Concordia Private Care provides, visit www.ConcordiaPrivateCare.org or call 724-352-2882.
There is always a LOT happening at Concordia! Would you like to stay up-to-date with our news and events? Sign up for our monthly e-newsletter here.